Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Passion: Horseback Riding

Horses have always been something I've been fascinated with, every since I was just four years old you can find pictures of me playing with stuffed horses or "pretending" to be a horse myself. When I was 7 my family moved to the country, a small town with as little as 7,000 people, and a town Rode as well. This country town was a safe haven for me and my family after a few harsh years in the city, and the divorce of my parents. We lived right behind the rodeo grounds, and I can remember how every year I would get so excited about seeing the horses right in my own backyard.

 On my 10th Birthday after nearly 2 years of my horse obsession, my mom surprised me with a horse lesson on my birthday. I literally freaked out when she told me, I actually screamed and remember myself hugging my mom multiple times with happiness. My very first time on a horse didn't cure my horse obsession, it made it worse and when I say worse I mean better. I began taking riding lessons weekly on a 12 year old Appaloosa gelding named Danni. I honestly would get so excited the night before I had a riding lesson, that some nights I couldn't go to sleep.

My room was filled with horse posters, horse books, horse magazines and even a 4 level shelf of 20 breyer horses. Yeah, I was horse crazy. Riding was one thing I felt that I was truly good at, and it was something that inspired and made me happy. That's probably why I love it so much today, because it stills inspired me after five years. I went to horse camp when I was 11 still riding Danni, and met two of my best friends there.

 Later on, I moved to the city once again and still began riding at another, more improved stable located in the country ride. At the previous stable I wasen't treated or taught right, and it wasen't a healthy way of teaching. At this new stable I didn't get yelled at, or called "stuipd" because I needed help. At my old stable I was told that "its always the riders fault not the horse," and I wasen't really told what I was doing wrong in a constructive, helpful way. This new stable was wonderful, and my trainer was helpful in teaching me to become a better rider, working together as a team with my horse.

Today, nearly 3 years have passed since I started riding at Dream Ridge Stable and I'm happy to annoucne that I'm fulfilling my dream of leasing my very first horse this September. It's something I've always wanted to do, and now with money, and generous rides to and from the stable from my mom and grandma I'm able to do it.

Horse back riding is something that will always be apart of me. It inspires me, and simply makes me feel free as a bird in the sky. One of my favorite sayings by Juli Carlson says it all "When riding a horse, we leave our fear, troubles, and sadness behind on the ground." To work with such incredible, smart, and beatiful creatures is such a blessing and joy to me. So remember when you want to feel free as a bird, and leave all of your troubles behind you, ride a horse, believe me it works.


Thanks for reading and happy trails!

Sabryna D.

Riding a pony at the fair when I was 6.

   The first time I ever rode Danni on my 10th Birthday!
      (I'm furthest to the right)                                  
Horse Camp 2009 when I was 11. (I'm the one furthest to the right)                                              
Danni and I at horse camp:)
 Riding Danni on my 11th birthday.

 
Albany and I at Dream Ridge Stable 2012.
Me and Albany at a costume contest in November 2012.
 
Albany, I, my sister, my mom and her friend at the costume contest.

Albany and I in November 2012 after a long day of riding:)



No comments:

Post a Comment